I’ve nearly finished my entry in this weekend’s Pathfinder Pinewood Derby race. I will be pitted against other adults, so no boohooing about me competing with kids. Anyhow, here’s the car. No wheels yet, and the paint is still wet:

Boots & Backpack

Boots & Backpack

I started with the hiking boots (modeled after my own).

Hiking Boots

Hiking Boots

The backpack was an afterthought. Either it’s not to scale, someone has a tiny backpack, or huge feet. Such are the limits of the pinecar medium (at least in my hands).

Most of the work was done with a coping saw, half inch chisel, and a pocket knife (but mostly chisel). I think it came out pretty OK, but I doubt it will be fast. The hardest part was the shoelaces (by a long shot). They are not one piece. I did drill holes for the shoe’s eyelets and poked one end of the thread into each. Then I laid them across the tongue, clipped them to size, and glued them down. But tying the laces was even more difficult than getting them on the boots in the first place. I almost went for the untied look, but hey – Pathfinders are supposed to be neat, so I persisted.

I have made no attempt to make this car fast. I usually go for the creativity or craftsmanship ribbons. Hopefully this will bring one of those home!