Here’s a shot of the quinzee Beth and I built yesterday (or the day before?)
I wanted to have something in the photo to give an idea of its size, as a mound of snow with a hole in it could be anywhere between a couple of inches to a dozen feet high. Beth was not around, but Penny was! She brought me a soccer ball. To make sure I got her in the picture, I kicked the ball into the quinzee. That kinda threw her for a loop. She saw the direction and velocity of the ball’s trajectory, and according to her calculations, that ball sure ought to have been somewhere on the other side of the yard. She eventually found it in the quinzee and went in after it. But then she got curious and started sniffing around in there. She almost forgot about the ball, and started out the opening, and that’s when I took this shot. But then she remembered that she is a dog who is always on a mission, went back in, and retrieved the ball.
Yesterday Beth and I did a little snowshoeing around the yard too.
We headed around the trail in the back, and as we got to the edge of the property, one of the neighbor kids saw us and called out to Beth, “Can you come over?” I said she could. Beth wanted her snowshoes off, so helped her get them off and trekked back to the house. On the way, I saw a deer track:
I don’t see many deer here as compared to when we lived in Northern Virginia, or even growing up in Kentucky. In VA, I’d see at least three a day. Here I see maybe three a year. I did a little digging and found that Virginia has about 45 whitetail per square mile compared to less than 15 here in NH. I don’t know the exact figure here, but less than 15 could be less than 5 as well. All I know is that there just aren’t very many here. I guess that’s just as well, as 45 per square mile is really too many. At that density, they are not only a nuisance, they are a danger as well (the three a day figure includes roadkill).
In unrelated news…
I got the water filter installed, and can now add soldering copper tubing to my list of barely managed skills. Nothing leaked, yay! I did spill about a gallon of water on the floor though, as I didn’t have one of the plastic fittings on the filter assembly sufficiently tightened, so when I turned the pump on, it spewed pretty good! I pulled the switch out again, removed the connector, and found that I had not aligned things as well as I thought I had. I scootched the filter tank over a bit to line things up better, reconnected everything, and tightened it up. And apparently sufficiently this time – no leaks!
I still have not added any bleach to the chem feeder (to kill the sulphur-reducing bacteria that makes our water smell bad), but I can say that our water does taste better. It will take a while to get the rust scrubbed off our appliances, tubs, sinks, and commodes, but my hope is that rust stains are a thing of the past now.
I must say that I was very well pleased with myself. I wasn’t sure I could solder copper fittings, and I knew that if I failed, we would be a water-free house, and I’d have to shamefacedly talk to someone who actually does know what they’re doing. But it all went pretty well, and there was no shame involved. So not only did I save face, I also saved a couple hundred bucks!