Since we were on the road on the fourth, we thought we might light some fireworks today. So after supper, Beth and I got in the car and drove to Tilton. We went the long way around so we could drop off the travel bug we picked up in VA in a frequently-visited geocache. The cache we placed it in is actually very close to the house as the crow flies, but not so close as the car drives. It’s located at a rest area.

We were planning to look for three caches. The first of these three is located at an old bridge over the Merrimack. It no longer has a deck and was closed to traffic in the 1960’s. When we got there, we found about a dozen vehicles parked at the end of the road. I guess they were either fishing or swimming. Whatever they were doing, I decided we should look for the cache some other time.

On we went onto I-93. A couple miles up from the exit we stopped at the rest area where there are two caches. We found them both and dropped off the travel bug.

Then we were off again to Tilton. When we got to the fireworks store, one of the first things I noticed was the notices all over everything about how you had to be at least 21 years old to buy fireworks in NH. State law. OK! I qualify!

No one else was in the fireworks store except the guy tending the cash register. I told him we were looking to maximize $30 or so, and he recommend $30 worth of goods. So I bought them. As he was ringing us up, a teenage couple drove up and wandered into the store. The manager asked them, “Are either of you 21?” Their eyes grew wide. I would guess they were both about 17. “No.” they answered, so he told them to hit the road. Then the male half of the couple said something like, “What a waste of time. See if WE ever come back again.” I’m sure that broke the managers heart.

We came home after that, and then the hard part started for Beth – waiting for it to get dark. I am convinced that sparklers are as popular as they are, because they let kids start the fireworks before it’s really dark enough to start the fireworks.

We first tried using a candle to light the sparklers, but the kids ALL managed to put the candle out about every other time they tried to light one. It was not much of a candle, frankly (I made it myself a couple of years ago). I decided then that it was time to stop messing around with the candle, went to the basement, and got my propane torch out. That solved the problem, in true Fourth-of-July fashion. More fire power!

Once the sparklers were all gone, I doused the launch pad with the hose. By then it was good and dark. Then I lit all six packs (one at a time). It was a nice display, and nothing burned down. Not the house. Not the woods. Not the lawn. I call that a success!