Tonight I knit a test swatch so I could see how many stitches per inch I would be knitting with my new needles and yarn.

Testing the knit gauge

Testing the knit gauge


At first I was just using all black yarn, but I found it was almost impossible to count stitches since it all ran together. After half an inch or so I started alternating between tan and black. As you can see, it’s a lot easier to see the stitches up there at the top. This came out to 6 stitches per inch (horizontal), and 10 rows per inch (vertical).

With these numbers in hand, I went ahead an plugged them into a form I found in an online pattern. They also wanted some measurements from my feet, so I made those and plugged them in as well. Now I need to wind some yarn onto my new bobbins and get started.

Advertisements