Today was the Pathfinder Club’s annual yard sale. I got up early (for me), and got the kids up too. We ate some breakfast, picked up Joy (she’s a Pathfinder who lives near us), and then set out for the church. First order of business was to move several tables up to the yard. Then fill them with the items that had been donated to us.

While we were doing this, some kids excitedly told me that there was a ferret outside where we normally park our equipment trailer. Cool. I dropped whatever I was doing it and hot-footed it over there. It was somewhat cornered, as the little alcove where we park the trailer is brick on three sides. The fourth side was blanketed with kids. I grabbed my camera. I think it was an American mink (Neovison vison) a stoat (Mustela erminea), known as an ermine when it wears a white coat. Only one shot came out OK-ish:

Stoat (Mustela erminea)

Stoat (Mustela erminea)

As soon as I got the picture, I directed the kids to step back and let it escape. Which it did. Eventually finding its way into the sanctuary! For all I know, it’s still in the church building somewhere, but maybe that’s not terrible. We do have a few mice it could help us out with.

Once the yard sale was in full swing, the kids kept coming up to me and asking “how much for this?” They were asking because they wanted to buy it. I’m sure the Pathfinder parents really appreciated me selling their kids even more toys, but… such is life. Usually, I would answer “ten cents” and the kids would hand me a dime and stash the toy away somewhere.

Then one of the kids came up to me and asked, “Do you think this is real?” He was holding a small blue egg (made me think of a robin’s egg). I took it from him and said, “I don’t know”. I squeezed it lightly, thinking it might be a wooden egg he had found on one of the tables. That’s when the egg exploded, sending white and yolk all over the two of us. He took it right in the face. I took it all over my hands and shirt. I guess it was real! Maybe even a robin’s egg!

We cut the sale off at 1:00pm, and then started packing up the leftovers for Goodwill. They wouldn’t take most of it, but I was glad they took some of it. Joyce took the rest home and Ken unloaded it somewhere at their place. We are camping on their farm next weekend, so we’ll reload it Sunday and then haul it to the dump afterwards.